As we develop new projects, such as onshore wind farms and large-scale photovoltaic farms, we assess the impact of our investment projects on climate change and global warming risk, as required by the Act Amending the Act on Sharing Information about the Environment and its Protection, Public Participation in Environmental Protection and Environmental Impact Assessment.
Scope of emissions reported
- Polenergia Group reports Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions as defined by the GHG Protocol methodology.Direct emissions (Scope-1) arise from the combustion of fuels in stationary or mobile sources owned or supervised by the company, emissions resulting from technological processes or refrigerant leaks.
- Indirect emissions (Scope-2) result from the consumption of imported electricity, heat, process steam and refrigeration. We calculate Scope-2 emissions using two methods. The location-based calculation method takes into account the average energy intensity of the grid to which the energy consumer is connected. The market-based calculation method aims to show a conscious choice of energy supplier – it presents emissions calculated according to the supplier-specific intensity.
The Polenergia Group operates with a business model based on the production of energy from renewable sources. In the Group’s daily operations, emissions occur as a result of fuel combustion in transport and as a result of purchases of heat and electricity. The generation of the vast majority of emissions is influenced by the generation of energy from natural gas at the Nowa Sarzyna CHP Plant
Scope 1 (direct GHG emissions):
- Emissions from combustion of fuel in buildings, installations and vehicles (natural gas, fuel oil, gasoline, Diesel fuel, LPG)
- Fugitive emissions of refrigerants and other gases
Scope 2 (indirect energy-related GHG emissions):
- Consumption of electricity purchased
GHG emissions in the POLENERGIA Group are generated primarily by the Nowa Sarzyna Cogeneration Plant. Accordingly, the results are presented below in two versions: the total figures and the amounts without emissions from the cogeneration plant.